Tuesday, April 13, 2010

eBook Reader vs. A Book

Most of you know I own a nook courtesy of my wonderful little sister. After having used the nook for about a month, I can safely say I really like eBook readers. They're convenient, the books can be pretty cheap depending on what you're looking for, and you don't have to drive to the bookstore to get a book; just download it.

But despite all the convenience and fun of using an eBook reader, I have to say there are some things I don't like about it.

1. It takes too long to boot up. With a book, all I have to do is turn a page and viola! Text. But with the nook I have to turn it on and then WAIT for it to boot up before I can even get close to reading my book.

2. I can't skip to my favorite part. I know there are tools such as bookmark and all that cute stuff to mark places I like, but with a book all I have to do is flip through it and find my favorite passage. With the nook - or maybe any eBook reader but I only have the nook to compare - I can't do that.

And that's another thing...

3. I can't flip through the book. Sometimes I like to just skim through the book before doing a full read, kind of psyching myself up for the rest of the novel, but of course I can't do that with the nook. If I tried, I'd just spend tons of time waiting for the pages to load before I can move on to the next page.

So while it's fun to have an eBook reader, there are some limitations that take away from the experience of reading a book. This is why even though I have an eBook reader, I'm going to continue to buy real books. So far I haven't read about any eBook reader that has been able to replace the experience of reading an actual book.

No comments:

Post a Comment